When a catastrophic injury occurs, it often has a life-changing impact on accident victims and their families. Catastrophic personal injuries typically involve severe damage and are often permanent or long lasting, usually disabling those involved. Victims often face limitations in their ability to perform physical and sometimes mental tasks. They may develop other related medical problems involving respiratory or heart conditions, and the secondary results of these injuries can even lead to premature death. The attorneys at Drumheller, Hollingsworth & Monthy, LLP, know catastrophic injuries can occur as the result of a number of instances, including car accidents, falls, workplace injuries, and even violent confrontations.
Occurrences that often result in catastrophic injuries include:
- Car and Motorcycle Crashes: Head and spine injuries that are classified as catastrophic are often the result of high-speed roadway impacts. A rider who is thrown from a motorcycle or a driver who is involved in a T-bone accident will be at risk for a broken back, a spinal cord injury, or a skull fracture leading to brain damage.
- Truck Accidents: Although large trucks are crucial for our transportation industry, they prevent serious dangers on the roadways. Because of the size and weight of 18-wheelers, the injuries associated with these accidents are more severe and oftentimes fatal.
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Accidents: Pedestrians and cyclists have no significant protection in the event a vehicle hits them. Bicycle helmets are designed to prevent skull fractures, but they cannot help accident victims avoid neck and back trauma or concussions that cause brain injuries.
- Dangerous Property Conditions: Hazardous conditions can often cause falls or other injuries that lead to catastrophic head and back injuries. Businesses and property owners are responsible for failing to correct or warn of dangerous conditions on their property.
- Workplace Accidents: While come job sites are inherently more dangerous than others, every worker has the right to a reasonably safe workplace. Workers injured on the job have a right to seek compensation for their injuries.
Why You Need a Catastrophic Injury Attorney
When a catastrophic injury occurs, the main focus is on restoring the victim to the health and physicality they once had. Though money will rarely accomplish this goal, financial compensation can help to improve the quality of life for the injured and can help cover medical costs. The experienced catastrophic injury attorneys at Drumheller, Hollingsworth & Monthy, LLP, can assist victims in obtaining the funds they need to cope with the lasting impacts of their injuries. If you or a loved one is the victim of a severe injury caused by the fault or negligence of another, contact us to discuss your case with a catastrophic injury attorney.